How to use

What is the X-O account?

X-O is an online share dealing account you can use to buy and sell shares at a set flat fee of only £5.95 per trade – one of the most competitive rates around. Using X-O, you can trade in any quoted UK equity (but not foreign stocks or unit trusts). X-O is a brand name of Jarvis Investment Management Ltd who have been established for over 30 years. We pride ourselves in providing a cost effective, award winning service.

How do I open an X-O account?

To open your X-O account, simply click here and complete the online application form. If your application is successful, we will email you to confirm your account number. You will then need to complete the activation form to create your online login details. Please note, you must have funds in your account before you can buy shares. Alternatively, you will need to transfer shares in to your account before you can sell them.

Can we open a joint account?

Yes you can, but this facility is not currently available online. To open a joint account you will need to click here and download an application form. Please complete this form, ensure both of you sign it at the bottom, and post it to us.

How do I fund my account?

If you would like to make a payment using your debit card, you will need to log into your share dealing account and click on the ‘Cash’ tab that you will find towards the top of the page. Once in the ‘Cash’ screen you will see a ‘Make a payment’ tab on the left hand side – simply click on this and enter the required information. Funds will be posted to your account straight away. Please note that you cannot make payments using a credit card.

Bank transfer: If you would like to make a payment directly from your bank account to ours, please use the following details:

Account name: Jarvis Investment Management Ltd
Sort code: 55-70-13
Bank account: 78322936

Please ensure you quote your share dealing account number in the 'Reference' field.

How do I transfer in stock that I hold in the form of certificates?

X-O is a nominee based account. If you have share certificates, you can transfer them to your account by clicking here to download a Crest Transfer form. You need to complete a transfer form for each holding and then return to us at:, Jarvis Investment Management Ltd, 78 Mount Ephraim, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN4 8BS together with your valid share certificates (these must be in your name).

  • "Name of Undertaking" - The company name (i.e. Barclays or Vodafone).
  • "Description of Security" - Security description (i.e. ORD GBP1 or ORD USD0.10).
  • "Words" - Number of shares in words.
  • "Figures" - Number of shares in figures.
  • "In the name(s) of" - Please enter your full name and address, exactly as it appears on your certificate.
  • "Please sign here" - All of the registered holders of the certificate need to sign the form.

You can leave the rest of the form as it is and we will take care of the rest. Remember to return your certificate with the transfer form.

How do I transfer in stock from another broker?

You will firstly need to open an X-O share dealing account. Once your account is open, simply download a transfer form by clicking here and then complete, sign and return it to us. We will then contact your broker and make arrangements for the transfer of your stock.

How long does it take for stock to be transferred from another broker?

We will contact your existing broker on the day we receive your form. However, be aware that the speed of transfer is dependent on the efficiency of your broker and it can take a couple of weeks to complete! Shares held in an ISA are normally transferred within 28 days.

Do you charge any annual fees / what are your charges?

No, we don’t charge any annual management fees for our X-O accounts. Our simple and transparent charges can be found by .

When can I start dealing?

Once we have confirmed to you that your account has been opened and emailed your account number, you can start dealing. If you want to buy shares you must deposit money first of all. If you want to sell shares you already hold as certificates, these will need to be transferred to your Share dealing account.

Prior to trading, please check with our Certificates Department on 01892 700828 that the deposit of your shares has settled in Crest.

What are the risks?

Execution Only Risk Warning: As an execution only client, any decisions on investments are purely your own choice and Jarvis Investment Management will not provide any advice on these investments. We will execute the transactions for you only. You will therefore be responsible for any loss with the investments chosen. Please ensure you fully read and understand the risks involved in any decision you make. If you have any doubt whether any investment is suitable for you, you should obtain expert advice.

Is there a minimum size of order?

No, not at all. Provided you have funds on your account you can deal up to the value of those funds.

What markets can I deal in?

You can buy and sell shares in most companies that are listed in the UK. This includes dealing in equities, bonds, warrants, ETFs, investment trusts, shares listed on the IRS (International Retail Service) and CDIs of US stocks. Please note that you cannot deal in foreign shares that are listed on overseas markets. If you wish to invest in a CDI of a US stock you will need to complete a Form W-8BEN before you can trade. A full version of the instructions to completing a W-8BEN form. The quick guide can be found by clicking here.

Similarly if you wish to trade a CDI of a Canadian stock please complete the CRA Form.

Can I buy stocks listed in a foreign currency?

Some stocks, particularly ETFs, may be listed on the London Stock Exchange but priced in a foreign currency. Where this is the case a sterling amount will be debited or credited to your account with the currency exchanged at our house rate on the day.

How do I place an order?

Please click here to access the online user guide.

Can I close an unsettled purchase?

If you have more than two days left before the due settlement date you can close an order by navigating to “Active Orders” in the Trading section of the website and clicking the “Closing Bargain” icon. Closing Bargains are linked to an opening bargain and all fields on the “Buy and Sell” screen will be pre-populated to correspond with the opening bargain. If the closing order is entered before market opens, your trade will be entered as a “Fill-or-Kill” limit order which is good for today only. If the closing order is entered after the market has closed, your trade will be entered as a “Fill-or-Kill” limit order with an expiry date of the next working day.

Can I hold shares in an ISA?

Yes you can. If you haven’t already got a stocks and shares ISA for this year, you can open one online by clicking here and complete the online application form or by clicking here and downloading an application form. Alternatively, you can transfer in an ISA from another ISA manager. Simply download a transfer form by clicking here and then complete, sign and return it to us . We will then contact your existing ISA manager and make all the necessary arrangements. If you hold a Share dealing account with us, you can transfer existing share holdings in to your ISA by a process known as 'Bed and ISA'. Click here for more details.

How long does a trade take to settle?

Normal settlement is 2 working days (T+2). You can deal up to T+20 but you should be aware that the market maker will normally charge a premium on the price and dealing for extended settlement brings little benefit when cleared funds are required prior to placing a trade

Will I get a share certificate?

No – this is a nominee account which means that the shares are held electronically in a pooled nominee account . You do of course still remain the beneficial owner of the shares. If you decide you would like to have the shares re-registered in your own name, this can be done very easily and is subject to the re-registration charge as detailed in the scale of charges.

Limit orders and Stop Losses?

You can place a limit order to buy shares when the price at which you are prepared to buy is below the current market share price. Alternatively you can place a limit sell order when the price at which you are prepared to sell is above the current market selling price. Should this price ever be reached, your order should be dealt automatically. Your limit order will be held for the time period that you specified. Please note that you are responsible for cancelling these orders. Stop losses can also be set to help you limit any loss. If you are unsure about the use of limit orders or stop losses, please call our dealers who will be happy to help you. Please also refer to the online user guide. Please note that limit orders in the currencies EUR or USD can only be held for the day and will be cancelled at 16:30 on that business day.

What is a contract note?

This is a confirmation of your transaction and can be found in the ‘Documents’ section of website once you have Logged in. An email will also be sent to inform you a Document is available. Please note, you may need to set your email security parameters to accept this email - the email address that will appear is from Message Centre.

How secure is the account?

As you would expect, all the information sent between you and our offices is encrypted giving you total peace of mind.

When will my tax voucher be sent to me?

Tax vouchers are issued annually for dividends which are paid within the previous tax year. They will be available shortly after the end of the tax year.

When will I receive my dividends?

Dividends are normally credited to your X-O account on the day we receive them from the registrar. You may request payment of dividends from your account by opting for the quarterly income facility - payments will then be made to you from your share dealing account in April, July, October and January for the preceding three months. Simply email us at if you would like this facility added to your account. Alternatively the money can be held on your account for re-investment or withdrawn as you wish.

How do I request money from my account?

Log in to your account and select the ‘Cash’ tab that is located just beneath the orange banner. Once on the Cash page, you will see another tab called ‘Cash Withdrawal’ on the left-hand side of the screen. Click on the Cash Withdrawal button and enter the amount you wish to withdraw. Please allow two to three working days for the money to reach your bank account.

How can I access my account statement?

Once you have logged in, click on Statement Details to see all monetary transactions for your X-O account. These are updated immediately a trade has taken place. Order History will give you details of the individual trades, showing you the quantity of shares, the price and the final settlement figure.

How do I change my bank details?

If you wish to change your bank details please write to us with a signed letter of instruction together with one of the following which displays your name, sort code and account number:

  • an original bank statement which is no more than 3 months old;
  • a branch printout of a bank statement that has been both stamped and signed by the branch manager;
  • an original bank letter that has been sent to you in the post and is dated within the last 3 months;
  • a void cheque or paying-in slip
If I move, how do I change my address on the account?

If you are moving, please email us at with your new address details from the email address registered on your account. Once we have received them, your account will be updated within 24 hours – please make sure you quote your account number.

How do I transfer stock or funds to another broker?

You will first need to contact the broker to open an account with them and complete their transfer form. They will then send this to us and we will transfer the account on your behalf. A confirmation of the transfer will be sent to you via email. Please note, transferring stock costs £15 plus VAT per holding.

Corporate actions

We will notify you in writing of any corporate actions.

Who do I contact if I have any questions?

You can email us at Alternatively you can contact us by phone or in writing using the details which can be found in the Contact Us section

At what times can I trade using X-O?

You can trade during normal London Stock Exchange market hours – from 08.00 until 16:30, Monday to Friday (but not on Bank Holidays).

Do you have a list of links to useful sites?

Yes. Please see below.

London Stock Exchange Stock News and Prices at a Maximum Up to 15 minutes
TrustNet Investment Funds Information Service
Investors Chronicle Information, Tips and News on Markets And Investments
Financial Times Financial Times Website -World Financial News, Classifieds
Annual Reports Service Free Annual Reports Service
Societe Generale Listed Products Societe Generale Listed Products
Can I pay into an ISA for another family member?

An ISA is an individual allowance and generally the individual must pay for it themselves. However, it is possible for a parent or spouse to gift money to the ISA applicant. We would require a completed ISA application form signed by the applicant and a cheque with a letter from the person gifting the money. This letter must state that they are gifting this money to the ISA applicant for the purpose of this investment and that upon investment they will have no further claim to the money. If you wish to transfer funds from your share dealing account to your child or spouse in order to fund their ISA, please complete this letter and return it to us.

Can I change my email address online?

Yes you can. Simply log into your online account and click on the Help & Administration tab. Next click on the ‘Amend personal details’ link and there you will find the email address field which you can update.